Thursday, October 29, 2015

Book Review: First & Then by Emma Mills

First & Then
Author:  Emma Mills
Publisher:  Henry Holt & Co., 272 pages
Publication Date:  October 13, 2015

From Goodreads:
Devon Tennyson wouldn't change a thing. She's happy watching Friday night games from the bleachers, silently crushing on best friend Cas, and blissfully ignoring the future after high school. But the universe has other plans. It delivers Devon's cousin Foster, an unrepentant social outlier with a surprising talent for football, and the obnoxiously superior and maddeningly attractive star running back, Ezra, right where she doesn't want them first into her P.E. class and then into every other aspect of her life.

Pride and Prejudice meets Friday Night Lights in this contemporary novel about falling in love with the unexpected boy, with a new brother, and with yourself.

Review:
What I Liked:  Football, Jane Austen references, romance, family dynamics, character growth, and a normal high school girl who doesn't know what she wants to do or where she fits in.

What I Didn't Like:  There was a slight disconnect for me with this book, and I think in part it's because Devon, the main character, seems disconnected.  I just couldn't get a handle on her.  She's best friends with Cas, a popular football player, but then she doesn't have any other friends.  Acquaintances, sure, but no real friends at all. And it's not like her and Cas spent that much time together.  Also, there were just too many random, odd characters.  Too much quirky.  And characters who were in the book but didn't seem to serve much purpose, sort of popping in and out.  Finally, Ezra had the potential to be an awesome book boyfriend, but I didn't feel like I got to know him and I was left with wanting more.

So while I really enjoyed this one, I didn't love it.


Posted by:  Pam
 

3 comments:

  1. I've been hearing great things about this one. I'm not sure how I'll feel about Devon, the way you've described it, I will most likely feel disconnected from her as well :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSSS. I felt the same, especially the disconnect from Devon. What a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand what you mean about feeling disconnected from the MC. Her voice was very detached, and the emotions didn't run deep. But the football and Jane Austen references were fabulous!

    ReplyDelete