Thursday, July 23, 2015

Book Review: Fairest by Marissa Meyer

Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, 3.5)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends, 222 pages
Publication Date: January 27, 2015

From Goodreads:
In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.  

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?

Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now.

Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death. This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series


Review:
Writing the POV of the "bad guy" or in this case the "evil witch" is often a dangerous endeavor because the bad guy suddenly becomes multi-dimensional and the back story can produce too much empathy for the villain.  Fairest walks the line really well.  Levana is without a doubt a horrible selfish person, but she had truly horrible things done to her.  To be honest I had given very little thought to what made Levana tick in this series.  While she is a central character in the previous books I wasn't that interested in her since I thought I understood her motivation.  Having read Fairest I am much more interested in how things will proceed and I can't wait for the next installment, Winter, to be published in November.  If you like stories about revenge, desperation, and greed then Fairest delivers.


Posted By:  Sheri

3 comments:

  1. Revenge, desperation, and greed. All the things I enjoy in a book. Great review, Pam! I am very intrigued even though I wasn't too crazy about Cinder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is coming up very soon for me! I plan on listening to it so hopefully it makes a good audiobook. I'm excited to learn more about Levana - i'm even more curious to discover what motivates her now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh I need Winter NOW. I think Marissa Meyer does a great job with keeping Levana a villain... I didn't want to feel sympathy for her and I really didn't. *shudders* She's so awful!

    ReplyDelete