Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Series Review: Blackbird Duology by Anna Carey

Blackbird (Blackbird #1)
Author:  Anna Carey
Publisher:  HarperTeen, 256 pages
Publication Date:  September 16, 2014

From Goodreads:
A girl wakes up on the train tracks, a subway car barreling down on her. With only minutes to react, she hunches down and the train speeds over her. She doesn’t remember her name, where she is, or how she got there. She has a tattoo on the inside of her right wrist of a blackbird inside a box, letters and numbers printed just below: FNV02198. There is only one thing she knows for sure: people are trying to kill her.

On the run for her life, she tries to untangle who she is and what happened to the girl she used to be. Nothing and no one are what they appear to be. But the truth is more disturbing than she ever imagined.


Deadfall (Blackbird #2)
Author:  Anna Carey
Publisher:  HarperTeen, 256 pages
Publication Date:  June 16, 2015

From Goodreads:
A week ago, you woke up in Los Angeles with no memory of who you are. The only thing you knew: people are trying to kill you. You put your trust in Ben, but he betrayed you and broke your heart. Now you've escaped to New York City with a boy named Rafe, who says he remembers you from before. But the two of you are not safe. The same people who are after you are tailing Rafe as well. As the chase heats up, your memory starts to return, but your past cannot save you from the terrifying circumstances of your present, or the fact that one wrong move could end this game forever.

Review:
I enjoyed this duology about a girl who wakes up and has to figure out who she is, what's happened, and why people are trying to kill her.  It's intense and full of non-stop action, although that did take priority over character development.  

Also, although I didn't mind it being in second person, I think that led to a disconnect for me, which I think is actually the opposite of what it's supposed to do.  My understanding of second person is that it allows the reader to experience the joy, the anxiety, the danger, etc. as their own personal experience, but I didn't feel that for some reason.  Really, it read more like a movie, if that makes sense, and I could see it being a fantastic movie.  It definitely had that Jason Bourne feel to it.

Slight spoiler:

Yes, there is a love triangle, but I didn't mind because it fit the plot and made sense. That said, I didn't like the way the author dealt with it.  

And I was surprised by the ending, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it.  

In sum, if you want to read an entertaining, action packed book that keeps you guessing, read the Blackbird duology.


Posted by:  Pam

5 comments:

  1. I'm curious about this duology but just not that sure whether I would really enjoy it or not. I'm still undecided about whether I should give it a go or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read books that made me feel like that about the narration. I have Blackbird on my TBR and physical shelf, so I guess I will find out if I feel the character of feel like I am being told a story. Thanks for your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I have to think about if I want to dive into the second one. I have book one that I have yet to complete but I like Anna Carey--so I won't judge until I've finished book one. Thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for this duology which is one of the reasons I haven't read it yet. But I do really like action-driven books so maybe I'll give it a try at some point (besides I have the first book already soo...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the first one and liked it, but didn't love it. So I've kind of just been putting off the second one and honestly, I'm not sure I'm ever going to read it. Is it worth it?

    ReplyDelete