Monday, June 15, 2015

Book Review: The Stars Never Rise by Rachel Vincent

The Stars Never Rise
Author:  Rachel Vincent
Publisher:  Delacorte Press, 368 pages
Publication Date:  June 9, 2015

From Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Nina Kane should be worrying about her immortal soul, but she's too busy trying to actually survive. Her town's population has been decimated by soul-consuming demons, and souls are in short supply. Watching over her younger sister, Mellie, and scraping together food and money are all that matters. The two of them are a family. They gave up on their deadbeat mom a long time ago.

When Nina discovers that Mellie is keeping a secret that threatens their very existence, she'll do anything to protect her. Because in New Temperance, sins are prosecuted as crimes by the brutal Church and its army of black-robed exorcists. And Mellie's sin has put her in serious trouble.

To keep them both alive, Nina will need to trust Finn, a fugitive with deep green eyes who has already saved her life once and who might just be an exorcist. But what kind of exorcist wears a hoodie?

Wanted by the Church and hunted by dark forces, Nina knows she can't survive on her own. She needs Finn and his group of rogue friends just as much as they need her.


Review:
I absolutely loved the premise of The Stars Never Rise, where you have a world in which there was a war between humans and demons and the humans won.  The population was decimated and the survivors live in walled cities where the church has taken over, protecting people from the demons who jump into bodies and take over.  People have given up a lot of freedom (very strict religious rules) in order to be safe.  

This book hooked me from the very beginning and never let go.  It's fast-paced, INTENSE, with just enough surprises and twists.  I read it in one sitting.

The romance…at first, I thought it was going to be the typical YA romance (I mean, come on, the synopsis mentions "deep green eyes"), but it turns out to be VERY UNUSUAL and I'm really curious as to how it will all turn out.  I have a theory…and I hope I'm wrong.  If you've read it, e-mail me to discuss!

Read this book!

Posted by:  Pam

4 comments:

  1. I been wanting to read this one because I really liked Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series, now I know I need to read it. Sounds like an amazing read. I'm really excited. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many good things about this one! I haven't read any of the author's other books, but they've always caught my eye. I definitely need to give this a try. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book A LOT! I agree, it was very fast-paced, and I read it in one sitting too. I have a theory about the Finn/the romance too, and it involves the baby.... so I really hope I'm wrong. D:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WANT TO KNOW YOUR THEORY ABOUT THE ROMANCE!

    ReplyDelete