Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Book Review: Things We Know By Heart by Jessi Kirby

Things We Know By Heart
Author:  Jessi Kirby
Publisher:  HarperTeen, 304 pages
Publication Date:  April 21, 2015

From Goodreads:
When Quinn Sullivan meets the recipient of her boyfriend’s donated heart, the two form an unexpected connection.

After Quinn loses her boyfriend, Trent, in an accident their junior year, she reaches out to the recipients of his donated organs in hopes of picking up the pieces of her now-unrecognizable life. She hears back from some of them, but the person who received Trent’s heart has remained silent. The essence of a person, she has always believed, is in the heart. If she finds Trent’s, then maybe she can have peace once and for all.

Risking everything in order to finally lay her memories to rest, Quinn goes outside the system to track down nineteen-year-old Colton Thomas—a guy whose life has been forever changed by this priceless gift. But what starts as an accidental run-in quickly develops into more, sparking an undeniable attraction. She doesn't want to give in to it—especially since he has no idea how they're connected—but their time together has made Quinn feel alive again. No matter how hard she’s falling for Colton, each beat of his heart reminds her of all she’s lost…and all that remains at stake.


Review:
I fell in love with this book.  I fell in love with Quinn and Colton.  They were so sweet together!  It's filled with such sadness, and such happiness.  I felt bad for Quinn, who goes looking for the recipient of her boyfriend's heart on the 400th day after he died.  Quinn, who counts every day that Trent is gone, who has faded from life, an eighteen year old "widow."  

Instead of just seeing Colton, they accidentally meet, and begin a relationship that you can't help yourself rooting for but at the same time knowing that Quinn has created an impossible situation and wondering whether it will all work out (and when will he find out the truth???)  I loved the California beach setting, and the fact that family was so important for both Quinn and Colton.  

Read this book!  It will make you cry, both for sad reasons and for happy ones.  It's a beautifully written story about love, grief, guilt, letting go, and moving forward.

Posted by:  Pam

4 comments:

  1. hah that whole rooting for Quinn and Colton while simultaneously knowing that shit is going to hit the fan and just waiting for the WHEN was torture. But I still loved this book and I am glad you did too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite thing about this book is Kirby's writing. It's just so, so pretty! I also loved the setting, and Colton is super swoony. I just wish I liked Quinn better. She was kinda blah to me? But the romance was still sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes!! I LOVED this book so much. It was the perfect balance of light and heavy. Had me on the edge of my seat the whole time just waiting for things to crash and burn. But I was hardcore rooting for these two. I can't say enough good things. I need to go read Golden now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one and am excited to read it...even more now. I've heard good and bad, so I'm glad to hear you loved it. I adored Golden, so hopefully I'll enjoy this one, too.

    ReplyDelete