Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Book Review: Claimed by Sarah Fine

Claimed (Servants of Fate #2)
Author:  Sarah Fine
Publisher:  47North, 341 pages
Expected Publication Date:  March 24, 2015
*ARC received from publisher via NetGalley

From Goodreads:
Galena Margolis, a brilliant scientist with a tragic past, is determined to fulfill her destiny and develop the vaccine that could save millions. Yet when Galena’s test subjects meet with foul play, it’s clear that someone is still determined to stop her, and that Galena herself is a target. As the Ferry empire forges a plan to keep her safe, Declan Ferry, the politics-hating black sheep of the family, steps forward to protect her—but the emotional cost may be more than either of them is willing to pay.

As unknown enemies close in, it becomes terrifyingly clear that they threaten to destroy not only Galena’s lifesaving work but also the very fabric of fate. As Galena and Declan race to uncover the traitor, they also forge a special bond that could save both Galena and those she’s sworn to help. Torn apart by the past and hunted by those she trusted, can Galena find room amidst her fears for a passion that could make her stronger than ever? And even if she and Declan can find their way together, will it be enough to keep the future from coming apart at the seams?


Review:
I enjoyed this book.  I love that it's a blend of futuristic elements with paranormal romance.  The mythology is interesting, although there's an inconsistency with the mythology and the plot that bugged me the entire time I was reading the book (it bothered me in the first book as well).  In spite of that, it's a fun, fast-paced, and entertaining book.

I liked Galena, she's a great main character.  She's smart and focused on her work, but at the same time vulnerable because of an event that happened in her past.  

I loved Declan.  He's tired of being a Ferry (guiding people into the afterlife), and he's basically going through the motions of his life, not really interested in anything. Galena and Declan are attracted to each other and just starting to get to know one another when circumstances push them into a much more serious relationship than they are ready for.  Declan's such a good guy, he's perfect for Galena and I loved the way their relationship progressed.  It's partly the two damaged characters healing each other story, but it's well done and believable, and there's also the paranormal mystery to keep things exciting as people are being killed left and right and Galena's life is in danger.  

I'll definitely be reading the next book and I'm curious who it will focus on…I'm guessing Aislin (and Moros).


Posted by:  Pam

3 comments:

  1. I am both excited and a little apprehensive to read this series! It's Sarah Fine so I can't imagine not liking it but what if I don't love it? It's not the type of story i've been drawn to lately but again SARAH FINE. But I am definitely planning on reading it and I'm happy to hear the sequel (companion?) is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of this book but it sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just so excited to read this one when it comes out! You're the second friend who has really enjoyed it, so I can't wait. I'm sure I'll be swooning over Declan. :D
    Great review, lady!

    ReplyDelete