Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Book Review: The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare

The Bane Chronicles 
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Publication Date: November 11, 2014

From Goodreads:
Fans of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices can get to know warlock Magnus Bane like never before in this collection of New York Times bestselling tales, in print for the first time with an exclusive new story and illustrated material.

This collection of eleven short stories illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality, flamboyant style, and sharp wit populate the pages of the #1 New York Times bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices.

Originally released one-by-one as e-only short stories by Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson, and Sarah Rees Brennan, this compilation presents all ten together in print for the first time and includes a never-before-seen eleventh tale, as well as new illustrated material.


Review:
I have been looking forward to this collection of novellas for months.  Because Magnus was one of my favorite characters in both the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series I couldn't wait to learn more about his long history.  The fact that I also got to learn about other warlocks and Downworlders was an unexpected surprise and then once the Herondales started showing up in the stories I felt like I was back in the amazing world of shadowhunters.  For those who want to know more about Jocelyn, Luke, and Valentine you won't be disappointed and for those who wanted more Magnus loves Alex moments, these are perfect.  My two favorite stories were The Last Stand of the New York Institute and The Course of True Love (And First Dates)

While I am not always a fan of the novella, these I loved.  In fact, if Cassandra could be persuaded to write a similar collection for Jocelyn I would be one of her happiest fans!


Posted by:  Sheri

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed these! I'm not a big novella person either, but I love Magnus and was considering reading these just for his awesomeness. Sounds like I should definitely check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that this was a series of novellas about Magnus. I honestly didn't give it much thought but now I think i'll give it a try! I did always love Magnus and if you loved them... that's enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Magnus! I don't do a lot of novellas either, but I'm interested in picking up your favorites and reading those.

    ReplyDelete