Friday, July 25, 2014

Discussion Question: LGB Characters



I have recently finished City of Heavenly Fire, the last book in the Mortal Instruments series, and I find myself completely satisfied for many reasons.  One of the primary ones, is that most of the characters get to live happily ever after and every single secondary character of importance has resolution, a few fairy tale endings and a few bittersweet.  I have been particularly interested in the relationships in this series between Alex and Magnus and between Helen and Aline and the storyline built around Shadowhunter culture accepting LGB members of their society. 
 
I wonder why Cassandra Clare decided to introduce this storyline and so many LGB characters into this series.  If anyone knows I would love some insight.  I was also wondering how these characters and relationships make you feel towards the book and if they influence who you would recommend the book to?  I personally think it’s a great way to get readers to think critically about their own biases toward the LGB community and the passage of laws that limit or deny basic rights.

Posted By Sheri

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the series so I can't really comment on the characters. But I do think it's great that Cassandra Clare decided to have so many LGBT characters, it's realistic to life. I don't know what hear reasons were, probably the fact that it's not realistic to have same sex couples and nothing else. I don't think it would change who I'd recommend it too, if I read and loved the book then I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone who'd listen. I wouldn't really want to talk to someone who wasn't willing to read a book just because it had LGBT characters in it. They would not be my kind of people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really think too much about the why and it wouldn't influence who I recommend this series to or whether or not I would recommend it. I think it's great that she incorporated LGB characters and I agree that it is a great way to raise awareness and break down biases but more subtly.

    ReplyDelete