Sunday, May 11, 2014

Book Review: Something Real by Heather Demetrios

Something Real
Author: Heather Demetrios
Publisher: Henry Holt BYR, 416 pages
Publication Date: February 4, 2014

From Goodreads:
There’s nothing real about reality TV.

Seventeen-year-old Bonnie™ Baker has grown up on TV—she and her twelve siblings are the stars of one-time hit reality show Baker’s Dozen. Since the show’s cancellation and the scandal surrounding it, Bonnie™ has tried to live a normal life, under the radar and out of the spotlight. But it’s about to fall apart…because Baker’s Dozen is going back on the air. Bonnie™’s mom and the show’s producers won’t let her quit and soon the life she has so carefully built for herself, with real friends (and maybe even a real boyfriend), is in danger of being destroyed by the show. Bonnie™ needs to do something drastic if her life is ever going to be her own—even if it means being more exposed than ever before.


Review:
I was not expecting to like this book as much as I did. For some reason, the whole reality TV plot just didn't appeal to me, but then I read a review by Lauren at Love is not a triangle and I decided to read it. I'm so glad I did because I absolutely loved it. It was such an emotional book and the characters were so well done. Chloe (Bonnie™) has spent the last four years without the TV cameras following her around and for the past year has even attended public school. New name, dyed hair, thousands of miles away, she has friends and a crush. But then she finds out the show is going back on the air and knows it's all going to fall apart. 


 Chloe was an amazing MC. All she wants to do is live a normal life. She was literally born on camera and at first loved being a part of this reality show, but then it was becoming too much for her and a tragedy when she was thirteen led to the show being cancelled. I just have to point out how horrible her mother was. Worst. Parent. Ever. I just wanted to smack her. I couldn't believe that she would do this to Chloe after all she had been through. I mean, I understand she has thirteen children who she has to support, but why not keep Chloe out of it?  Every single decision this woman makes is horrible.  I can't believe she didn't take Chloe's objections seriously.

I loved Chloe's brother Benny.  They have a great relationship, relying on each other and supporting each other.  Such a connection between these two.  And I loved loved loved Patrick.  He gets the best boyfriend award.  Seriously.  Hands down.  Now he's way too perfect to be real, but come on, who needs reality when reading fiction?  :) Just go with it and enjoy him.  Swoon!!


This book is fun and entertaining, filled with humor, but at the same time it deals with important issues, especially the issue of privacy and the price of fame.  What impact do these shows have on the children, children who do not necessarily have a choice in being on them?  And what does the fact that these shows are so popular say about our society?

"Whether it's Facebook photos, blogs, or reality TV, it's like nobody is content to just live life."

(Should I feel guilty for having a blog??)

It's a beautiful novel.  It. Has. All. The. Feels.  Read it!!!!

Posted by:  Pam

10 comments:

  1. I wasn't convinced before but now I definitely want to read it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has not caught my eye yet, but now I'm definitely adding it to my wishlist. It kinda reminds me of a book I read recently called Don't Call Me Baby, but I wasn't the biggest fan of that one. Hopefully this one will work better for me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one. Let me know what you think! ~Pam

      Delete
  3. YAY!!!!!! Thanks so much for linking to me. And I'm glad you read and love this as much as I did. I got so into the reality show plot. Her mother totally gets the worst mother of the year award. Thankfully, Patrick gets the best boyfriend. He is perfect, but I hope girls strive more for boys like him than these "bad boys" all over the place in YA. Even with his dirty hair, he's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, it's such a refreshing change to have such a good guy be the love interest. He's my new favorite! ~Pam

      Delete
  4. Oooooh, I haven't seen any reviews of this yet and so I am pleased that you loved it. Now I feel like I have yet another book to add to my TBR list. I dismissed this because I didn't feel I'd enjoy the reality TV aspect of it, but you've convinced me that the book is well worth a read. Thanks for the great and honest review Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way I felt, I didn't think I'd enjoy the reality TV part of it, but I'm so glad I ended up reading it! I can't wait to hear what you think. ~Pam

      Delete
  5. I traded for this book a couple weeks back. I have been seeing so many good things about it but I have the same reservations you had - the whole reality tv plot isn't a must-pick-up for me. I do want to read it though, and after seeing that it exceeded your expectations I'll have to make that happen sooner or later. I've been meaning to give my TBR more attention lately anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by how much I loved this book, I wasn't expecting to. I can't wait to see what you think! ~Pam

      Delete