Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Book Review: Uninvited by Sophie Jordan

Uninvited
Author:  Sophie Jordan
Publisher:  HarperTeen, 384 pages
Publication Date:  January 28, 2014

From Goodreads:
When Davy Hamilton's tests come back positive for Homicidal Tendency Syndrome (HTS)-aka the kill gene-she loses everything. Her boyfriend ditches her, her parents are scared of her, and she can forget about her bright future at Juilliard. Davy doesn't feel any different, but genes don't lie. One day she will kill someone.

Only Sean, a fellow HTS carrier, can relate to her new life. Davy wants to trust him; maybe he's not as dangerous as he seems. Or maybe Davy is just as deadly.


Review:
Loved this book.  When I was reading it, I could easily imagine this happening.  Prejudice, fear, people panicking, segregating those with HTS, etc.  The whole nature vs. nurture debate is fascinating.  Davy was such a relatable character.  She was just a normal girl with a bright future who suddenly has everything ripped away from her and basically has to start over.  She fears those who have tested positive for HTS even while she knows that she has the gene but she certainly isn't a killer.  I felt so bad for her, especially the way her parents acted and her so-called friends were the absolute worst (loved her brother, though, he was amazing).  I really enjoyed the twist of the camp and again, could see that happening.  I appreciated the reality that Davy was trying to become physically strong and capable because she needed to be, but she didn't suddenly turn into some sort of badass ninja.  Sean was amazing, he was intense and fearless (and swoony) and I loved their relationship and how it developed.  The book ends in a good place (no middle of a scene cliffhanger) and I can't wait for the next one (and it's a duology, not a trilogy...yay!) Read it in one sitting.


Posted by:  Pam

6 comments:

  1. I loved this book!!! Davy was so easy to relate to and the story just progressed so incredibly well and was filled with emotion. I could really feel for Davy. I loved Sean and Mitchell. HATED Tori. I agree that it ended well and the twist was believable. And YAY duologies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I felt so bad for Davy and absolutely hated Tori. Worst person ever, and for her to have known her for so long and supposedly been her friend...the worst. I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ~Pam

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I really loved it :) Like you, I could easily imagine this happening. The fear and panic is something I could really see happening like that now! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely one of the more realistic dystopians I have read, which made it so good. ~Pam

      Delete
  3. I didn't know it was a duology! That's exciting. I really liked this one too! I thought the ending was kind of rushed, but I did appreciate that it wasn't a huge cliffhanger. I felt so bad for Davy during this book and really felt her emotional range in this book. Can't wait for the next one! Also, I see that you're reading A Mad Wicked Folly!!! Yay!!! Omg, so excited. I can't wait to hear your thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so glad there's only two since I'm reading so many series right now I can't even keep up with them all. I need to make a list or something and maybe stop reading new series (but I just can't help it)! Just finished Mad, Wicked Folly actually and I really liked it, so different from what I normally read (and a stand-alone, so bonus)! ~Pam

      Delete